It’s May, practically summer so I have made you a salad!
This lunch-for-one is inspired by a salad I had at Leaf on Bold Street in Liverpool, a friendly café housed in a gorgeous building which, once upon a time, used to be a tea room, a cinema and more recently a clothes shop.
Do you want to find out more about leaf on Bold Street? Follow this link: https://thisisleaf.co.uk/liverpool/
They also sell the most gorgeous teas; I have fallen head-over-heels in love with their Butter Truffle tea (and their cute little tea-pot!)
This roasted sweet potato salad was everything I look for in a lunch: tasty, comforting, with varied textures, and a generous portion. This is my homage to it as some of the ingredients are slightly different. The original salad was served with fresh figs, which I cannot find at this time of year, but as soon as they become in season again, this salad is going to feature often on my meal rotation.
The salad was also served with a punchy, mustardy dressing – which I loved – but I thought my wholegrain mustard and balsamic vinegar dressing would pair up beautifully with the natural sweetness of the roasted sweet potato. I was right…
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (approximately 160-180g)
- Handful of rocket
- 1/2 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2tbsp cashew nut pieces
For the dressing:
- 1.5tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/4tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/4tsp pepper
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp honey or pure maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven at 200C/180C fan. Place the cubes of sweet potato in a small roasting tin and drizzle with the vegetable oil. Toss until the potato pieces are thoroughly coated in oil. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potato is tender and slightly charred at the edges.
2. To make the dressing, put the wholegrain mustard, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and maple syrup (or honey) in a smal, screw-top jar and shake well until all the ingredients are well blended and the dressing has slightly thickened up. Taste and adjust seasonning according to taste.
3. Place a generous handful of rocket in your serving plate. Top with the roasted sweet potato, diced red pepper, crumbled feta cheese and cashew nut pieces.
4. Drizzle generously with the wholegrain mustard and balsamic vinegar dressing and enjoy!